Wednesday, May 26, 2010
1. Would you rather host party or simply attend a party? At this stage in my life I would rather attend one. I have hosted more bridal parties than I can count. It was a real pleasure at the time, but "I've been there, done that" and I got a t-shirt too! ~smile~
2. Tell us about the most memorable party you've been to.Well, I gave my husband a surprise 50th birthday party/dinner and it was a huge success and came off without a hitch. It is still one of my favorite memories of a party.
3. What is one thing you hope for in the after-life? Peace among all peoples
4. What do you enjoy most about sunshine? It shining through the windows in our house. Just love to raise the shades or open the drapes and see it peeking in.
5. When you attend a bridal/baby shower, do you prefer to bring your own gift or chip in with others to buy a larger gift? I usually prefer to bring my own gift, but have been know to "chip in." I have definite ideas about gifts and the way they are wrapped, so it's usually best that I "do my own thing."
6. Would you rather have a FREE week of having your house cleaned or all of your meals cooked for you and your family? Oh, meals cooked. I do a pretty good job of keeping our home clean and straight on a day to day basis (since it's usually just Hubby and me) but sometimes I struggle getting motivated to cook. Meals cooked for a week would be "the ultimate."
7. What song describes your mood today? "Celebrate" - just felt extra good today and to me everyday I live is really a reason to celebrate.
8. What is something you received for your own bridal shower/wedding that you still own or use? (If you are not married, feel free to sub a gift you received a long time ago.) How funny, but it is a Corning Ware pie plate. It is not something I use often, but when I bake a pie it is the plate I use. I probably owned it 12-15 years before I ever used it.
9. Your favorite flavor of ice cream is? Plain ole Vanilla. I can add toppings, or various syrups or fruit if I desire, but most often, I just want it plain.
10. When was the last time you felt "tested?" About 2 weeks ago and I'll just leave it at that. ~wink~
11. "[Fill in the blank] is a food that once I start eating I find really hard to stop." Ruffles potato chips, just love the mix of salt and crunch!
12. "-----" is the best motivation. Well, this is a "toughie" for me, so will ponder it and let you know later..........I have several but not sure which one is the BEST.
For more Wednesday's Random Dozen check out Linda's Second Cup of Coffee.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Outside my window..........the sun is shining brightly and it feels like August. I was more than ready for spring, but this feels like "full fledged" summer already. Ugh!
I am thinking..........that I am so glad that Hubby and I had our children when we were still relatively young. We have our 19 month old Grandson this week and we are just amazed at how much energy he requires.
I am thankful...........for the medical care that our society has access to. I have been dealing with some swallowing issues for several months, and have been seeing a Gastroentrologist
since February. It appears that it is a very stubborn case of Acid Reflux and perhaps a Spastic Esophasgus. I've had testing done to rule out anything serious and am thankful that it does just appear to be something "aggravating."
From the kitchen..........it will be good old BLT sandwich for dinner this evening. That is Hubby's request. He is growing tomatoes this year and picked his first 3 this week-end and he wants to try them out with a BLT sandwich. I will just have a BL sandwich since I do NOT like tomatoes. I know, that is almost a sin, but I have never liked tomatoes.
I am wearing.........black capris, a white knit top and black flip flops. You dress comfortably when chasing after a 19 month old. ~smile~
I am creating...........a lot of precious memories as a Grandmother. I have such fond memories of my paternal Grandmother and want my Grandchildren to have fond memories of me one day.
I am going..........no where that I do not absolutely have to go. Again, having a 19 month old in tow makes going a tad more difficult. ~chuckle~
I am praying.........that our daughter and son in law will have an uneventful move from their home in Oklahoma on Friday. They will be making the 8 hour treck from there to Louisiana. I will just be glad when they have arrived "safe and sound."
One of my favorite things.............is neatly folded laundry. Love to see the transformation from being thrown in the laundry basket to being all neatly folded and ready to be put away. I just wish that little fairies would come and make that transformation. ~smile~
A scripture to share........."For the joy of the Lord is my strength." Neh. 8:10 What a great verse!
Around the house........lots of toys and imagine there will be for the remainder of this week.
A few plans for the rest of the week..........just keeping up with my little man and the household duties that HAVE to be done.
A picture worth sharing..........
Friday, May 21, 2010
Hubby sitting patiently while I did a bit of shopping.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
3. In your region, do you celebrate graduation open houses? Addendum: (If so,) how many open houses/bridal showers/weddings are on your upcoming events calendar? We recognize our graduates during a worship service at our church, but no open house as such. Our little city wrote the book on bridal parties and showers. Brides have announcement teas, showers, and luncheons "to beat the band." It is amazing that I do not have one on my calendar at this time, but there have been times when I had 3 or 4 on my calendar at one time. I think we Southern Women are just always looking for a reason to host a celebration. ~chuckle~
4. Tell me one truth you believe about motherhood. A child never realizes the love of a mother until they have their own children. If they never have children, then they never fully realize the depth of a mother's love.
5. What was the last thing you broke? Well, I cannot remember the last thing I broke.
6. On average, how many pieces of junk mail do you receive daily? Oh, my, way too much, probably 6-8 pieces a day
7. Do you like to shop by catalog? Yes, yes, yes!!!! Give me a catalog and the internet and I'm "good to go." I probably do 75% of my shopping (outside of groceries and toiletries) through catalogs and the internet. It's just so convenient!
8. Is lawn maintenance at your house a "his job," a "her job" or "his/her job" or "that's why we have teenagers" job? I'm not a fan of yard work, but my husband loves it and does an excellent job with it. He wants it picture perfect and he pretty much (with some hired help) keeps all 1 1/2 acres manicured. I enjoy working with plants on our patio, a smaller more "doable" job.
9. Which room would you like to redecorate in your home?
Since we just did some major redecorating a year ago, there's not anything I would change just yet.
10. Do you read a newspaper regularly, or do you read most of your news on line? If I read a newspaper it is always just before I head to bed, but most days I don't bother. I scan Fox News on the internet.
11. Do you believe everything happens for a reason? Yes, I do.
12. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things? Well, I'm concerned about both, but if pushed, I would have to say, doing the right things.
For more Random Wednesday, click here.
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Outside my window..............the sun is going down and after a rather dreary day weather wise, this evening is perfectly gorgeous.
I am thinking..........that I will likely not get the ironing done until tomorrow. It was on my "to do" list today, but I haven't felt good and just couldn't muster up the energy to get it done today. Oh, well, as my sweet Mom would say, "it won't go anywhere, it will be right there when you get to it." Yea, that's what I'm afraid of.........
I am thankful for.................my son and daughter. I feel so blessed to have gotten one of each in two tries. ~smile~ I always wanted an older brother (I had two younger brothers) and really, really wanted a son first. And, I really, really wanted a daughter second. We decided since they didn't make anything else that we would just stop with one of each. ~chuckle~
From the kitchen.........absolutely nothing. Hubby had a Deacon supper this evening and since I wasn't very hungry, I opened a can of Chicken Noodle soup for myself. There are some very ripe bananas on the island and I really need to make some of my delicious Banana Nut Bread with them. Perhaps that will be on my agenda tomorrow.
I am wearing.......lounging pj's. It's been a bit chilly today and these are flannel and feel good this evening.
I am going..........to Oklahoma on Thursday. Our daughter and her family live there and we've had a condo there for the past couple of years. Since they will be moving here (yes, that's right, HERE) the end of the month, we will giving up our condo. We will pack up the few things we have there and load in a U-Haul and then also bring some of their stuff too. I wish I could just snap my fingers and have the move behind us. Moving is one of the TOP 5 worst things to deal with! ~giggle~
I am hoping.........to feel better when I wake up in the morning. I started feeling "yucky" about an hour after I got up this morning, sort of like I did in the early weeks of pregnancy. ~big chuckle~ I did go on and do my running around but have sort of been "laying low" this afternoon. Guess it's just some "bug." I have lots to do tomorrow and Wednesday in preparation to leave Thursday, gotta feel better.
A favorite quote..........."I've learned that people will forget what you said, People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel." I try to think of this everyday as I come in contact with people, very profound!
One of my favorite things...........is snacking on salty potato chips. If I let myself, I could eat a bag at one sitting, but would never do that. But, I do enjoy grabbing a few periodically. Feel the same way about salty popcorn. Yummy!
A picture thought worth sharing............this is my little 19 month old Grandson's new "crocs." He was quite proud when we put them on him. I use to think they were quite ugly until I saw them on him. That changed everything!
For more Daybook reading click here.
Friday, May 7, 2010
This will be my second Mother's Day since my Mom's death. I can say that this one will certainly be much easier than last year. As folks told me, the first year will be your hardest and they were so right. My Mom's death was very sudden and I had no time whatsoever to prepare and it took me most of the first year to accept the fact that she was really gone from this earthly life.
It brought back such fond memories as I went throw old photos. And, of course, it also brought a chuckle or two as I saw how hair and clothes styles had changed over the past 57 years.
For more Company Girls reading click here. Thanks to Rachel Anne for hosting each week. She's the best!
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
2. How long does it take you to fall asleep, and do you sleep through the night? I fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow and it is a very rare night for me not to sleep the night through and enjoy some really good z-z-z-z-z's. I hope I'm always that fortunate.
3. Which decade would you choose to exemplify your favorite fashion styles? I think the 40's when women dressed with such femininity and class.
4. What is your personal best dish to feed a crowd? I make a really good seafood casserole with shrimp and crayfish and I never fail to get "rave reviews" when I serve it. Of course, this recent oil spill may hinder our ability to get this good seafood here in Louisiana in the coming months.
5. Are you an impulse shopper? What was the last thing you bought on impulse? Well, the hardest thing for me to resist buying is "another" pair of shoes and that was my last impulse purchase. Shame! Shame!
6. What is one wish you have for your own funeral? First, I do not wish to have a traditional funeral, I desire to have a visitation and then a private family burial. And, I do not want my casket open for viewing at the visitation. The only people that need to view my body is my family because that helps with the closure of someone's life.
7. If it's true that joy is in found in the simple things in life, what does your joy look like today? My simple joy today was enjoying a cup of coffee and a piece of strawberry pie with my precious Dad and my step Mom. It was an hour of pure and simple joy.
8. What is your favorite type of bread? The bread that is served at Outback Steakhouse is my all time favorite bread. I think it is called Squaw Bread, but whatever, me likes it!
9. What trait do you fear developing the most? (Laziness, greediness, grumpiness, etc.) WOW! I've never thought about this but it would have to be laziness. I've never been lazy in my life and I don't have a lot of tolerance for it either.
10. What trait would you like most to develop? I've spent way too much time thinking on this, so will take that to mean that there's too many to name or perhaps none. I'll keep pondering this one.
11. Which room in your house best reflects your personality? Why? Oh, my kitchen most definitely!!! I began collecting roosters several years ago because they are so colorful and have such personalities and remind me of myself a bit. ~smile~ I also have a collection of crosses made from all types of materials and they always remind me of the ONE who gives me life eternal. And, I have a cuckoo clock that puts a smile on my face every time he announces the time. Below are two pictures (sorry,their not the best quality) from my "personality filled" kitchen.
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
I've been wife to the best Hubby for 44 years....Mom to a son and daughter....CiCi to 4 precious Grans....lover of family and friends....enjoy laughter and a good time....shopper....picture taking maniac....maker of delicious fudge....organizational enthusiast....memory maker....Southern Belle...and most importantly.....a Child of the King! Welcome to my little corner!
Keep Informed! Subscribe
Sign up with your email address to receive new updates straight in your inbox.
My Blog List
I have probably only posted an entry on a Sunday a couple of times since I have been blogging. But, I had a few things to sha...
I'm linking up with Kelly over at Kelly's Korner today for her Home Tour. Today she is featuring guest bedrooms. We have tw...
I'm always thinking of content for blog posts and thought that sharing some of my pet peeves might be a fun and interesting post....
It seems as though "Lea's Favorites" has become one of my most popular posts and that makes me very happy. I seem ...
Well, I imagine that all of my family and friends that do not live in our area have heard of the devastating flooding that we are end...
With only 20 days left until Christmas, I'd definitely say "tis the season." I have decorated all that I'm goin...
Are you ready? I mean it seems that I've been talking about and showing bits and pieces of our impending landscape for long enough...
A few of my favorites today............ My favorite bathing beauty......... as her Momma said, it's the only time in her l...
It's Wednesday, that means the HP questions and it's also the first day of June. Oh, me, the year is almost half over. How ...
This week Kelly is featuring the kitchen. It is one of my favorite rooms of my house. It is totally open to the living areas of our h...